Sunday, May 27, 2012

DGP: DIY Studded Dip Dye Ombre Shorts

Domestic Goddess Project# 5

Dip-dye and ombre shorts are all the rage right now. I wanted to buy a pair for myself at Topshop but it's just too expensive. I can't seem to justify spending 2k plus for just a pair of distressed shorts. So I figured, I can make this. I rummaged through my super messy closet and took for a pair of jeans that I'm not using for the past year or so and decided to cut if off and with a few household products, I've successfully made my very own Ombre shorts.

I'm happy to share with you guys my first attempt on dip-dying and studding.


You willl need:
Old cut-off jeans
Bleach
Gloves
Studs
Tweezers

BLEACHING
Step 1:
Prepare the bleach and water mixture in a small container. Fill in half of the container with bleach and fill in the rest of the container with water. Be sure to use gloves!

Step 2:
Decide which part of the shorts you want to bleach. I wanted the upper part to be bleached so I hung the shorts upside-down. The hanger is just an additional precaution since the water can seep through the whole garment easily. It serves as a handle for me.

Step 3:
Dip your desired part and length into the bleach-water solution for about an hour or until you got the color you want. Check the garment every 5-10 minutes.
After 10 minutes of soaking
After 30 minutes of soaking
After an hour of soaking
Got my desired color after an hour and 15 minutes of soaking

Step 4: Wash and dry
Make sure to wash the shorts properly with laundry detergent to remove any trace of bleach. Then spin or hang to dry.

Finished product



STUDDING
Step 1:
Decide on where to put the studs and visualize the pattern that you want to make. I wanted to make an inverted triangle.

Step 2:
Push the stud through the fabric. Make sure that all four points make it through the other side.

Step 3:
Using tweezers, press the points into the center one by one.
Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you finish your desired pattern.

TADAH!!! :)

After my successful attempt, I wanted to dip dye every single one of my jean shorts. lol. I hope this simple tutorial inspired you to make one. :)

Till my next Domestic Goddess Project (DGP)!

<3 D.

22 comments:

  1. This is so cool and I can't believe it's that easy to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesoooome!! I'll do this to one of my denim cut-offs first thing tomorrow! Hahah! You got me inspired, alright. Thank you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Glad you got inspired by it! :)

      Delete
  3. this one looks super cool, will definitely try this out :)

    http://smallfrequentdressing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am so gonna do this! ^__^
    creative idea :)and so stylish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose! Yeah you should try it. :)

      Delete
  5. good job on the ombre & studs!!! i'm so bad at DIYs. i always make a total mess when i attempt something crafty!


    Gela
    boat ride through the sky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'll try this one! :)

    Join my giveaway here and win clothes from SOUTH SARTORIAL!
    http://www.katvaldez.com/2012/05/south-sartorial-x-fashyown-dreams_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll definetly try this! really good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SUPER COOL! Thanks for the tutorial. Where do you buy the studs?

    http://thebelatedbloomer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. easy ! will definitely try this... btw, where did you get the studs?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where did you bought the studs? pls :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Ill ask the same questioon too. Where can I buy the studs? And what brand of bleach you used? Thank u!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. found one here, sis! :)

      http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/6614466/spikes+and+studs?referralKeywords=spikes+and+studs&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-2,2.

      Delete
  12. cool. can't wait to try this! will definitely do thissssssss! :)

    for those of you asking, i found an online shop selling studs here: http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/6614466/spikes+and+studs?referralKeywords=spikes+and+studs&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-2,2.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Where did you buy the studs? Pls. reply. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. what bleaching product did you use?

    ReplyDelete

Comments and Suggestions are very much welcome! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...