Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cravings: Gulab Jamun

 Who gets cravings on their 8th month of pregnancy? I do! Well sort of.

I've been craving Gulab Jamun, a popular Indian dessert for the past week or so. My feet were itching to go to the nearest Indian mini mart to buy myself a kilo of these. Maybe I should thank the Gods or Vishnu for the blessing of having an Indian mini mart/cafe just a short drive away from our house.

So what is it exactly?
It's like a rolled dough consisting of milk and flour deep fried then submerged in a sugar syrup.

Is it hard or soft?
Very very soft. As in melts in your mouth soft.


How do you eat it?
Put it in your mouth, chew then swallow. Just kidding.
The best way is to eat it whole. You'll feel all the juices exploding in your mouth. But of course you can bite your way through it.

Is it an acquired taste?
No. It's really tasty.

What does it taste like?
In my opinion, it's pretty similar to the taste of our popular dessert Leche Flan but less smooth and juicier. Very milky and sweet.


Where can I buy one?
Indian restaurants usually offer these. I got mine at Assad Mini Mart in U.N. Ave. You know the row with the   Indian cafe's and mini markets. It's the one with the large green signage, you can't miss it. It is also near the Indian Sikh Temple.

How much is it?
It's 350 Php (roughly $8) per kilo. Of course you can get half a kilo or even 1/4 if you just want to try it out. Since there are other varieties of Gulab Jamun (with coconut shavings etc.), ask for the one in syrup.


 I'm going to try making this from scratch soon. Another domestic goddess project in the works. :)

<3 D.

4 comments:

  1. Yummmm, these are one of my favorite desserts- makes me want to get Indian take out tonight :3 Looking forward to the recipe if you decide to go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! :) it's just sooooo good.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting.... I'll try to look for it here in cebu... :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! It's worth the trouble i'm telling you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments and Suggestions are very much welcome! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...